Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Blog 4- Observing an Intering with Families-Reva Arthur


     I was able to observe and communicate with parents and families of students during the end of the year celebration. this is a time when all of the families of the students are invited to the school for a fun filled day of activities, food and fun. I volunteered to do face painting. I find you can get more information when you are actively involved in the process. I knew the parents would feel as though I was a part of the school, versus a student volunteer just randomly asking them questions for a class.
     I saw a lot of support from professionals at the school as it relates to supporting the effort of the actual event. There were information booths manned by the staff members to give directions and information about the fun day. This was an excellent opportunity for parents and staff to communicate.  There was also a table set up in the cafeteria where an outside publishing company came in and donated summer remediation workbooks to all of the parents of the students who attended the school. I found this to be very thoughtful of the staff. I feel when parents know you care about their students, they are more apt to show care and concern as well. 
     I was able to observe and interact with both staff members, students and parents through my volunteer position as a face painter. Did I also forget to mention I'm an artist, who was able to create professional grade face painting? This was one of the ways I was able to attract so many people to my table, because they only wanted me to paint their faces. I even received tips. I think I had more fun than the students. Many of the parents did inquire if I were a new teacher? This opened the door for further communication.
     I gained many new insights, one is that most parents are eager to talk and share information with staff, if staff know how to engage and get the trust of the parents. I also tutor and was able to sign many of the students up for tutoring sessions over the summer as a result of my communicating with the parents. We were able to talk about many topics, such as the direct relation of obesity and classroom performance. Many of my parents were eager to give me personal information and background information about their struggles as an overweight child. 
     Another insight I gained is that was in direct relation to my advocacy interest is that as I observed the types of foods that were served at the event, I could not find a single healthy item except water and pickles. I find that when children are offered healthy choices, they are more apt to choose a healthy snack. I wish more programs would provide more healthy food options to children at the fair, circus or end of the year events such as the one I observed at my host site. I did not see many activities that promoted exercise either. I think I saw one bouncer and a DJ booth set up for students to dance freely.  I wish there was a booth set up to give children information about health and nutrition to serve them through the summer months.  Overall I enjoyed my observation of families, children and staff/professionals.
    

3 comments:

  1. Childhood obesity is a major problem with our children. It starts at home because our parents are feeding the children lots of fast foods and they come to school in the morning with potato chips and juice. This happens almost daily and the parent has to take these items back home. When the items are taken, the children have tantrums and they become aggressive towards others. I have had the opportunity to ask some parents what their children eat at home. They tell me pizza, McDonald's, Burger King and other fast foods. I send out materials about healthy eating and some of them say they will try it, but some say, He won't eat this kind of stuff. Who is the parent? Why do we allow our children to choose what to eat every day? What can we do to help with this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reva,
    I am shocked the booth did not offer healthy snacks. I agree that if you teach kids to eat healthy they will. It's too bad that healthy food cost more than unhealthy food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reva,
    I think your topic was magnificent. I have seen lots of cases with obese children and I feel that it is a big concern for our children. It is up to us to have information to pass along to our parents and to show them that there are healthy ways to feed the children. We as educators need to be strong advocates when it comes to the obesity problem. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete